Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Bossypants, by Tina Fey

And yet another post that is not about a novel... Though I'm right now in the middle of two novels, so fear not! This streak of not-novels shall be ending!

Book: Bossypants, written by Tina Fey (the awesome actress of 30 Rock, SNL, and numerous movies)

It's Like: Err, it's a memoir, so I can't exactly compare it to any novel... If you like Tina Fey's work, though, you will definitely like this book!

Summary: I can kind of do a summary for this book because it follows a linear timeline. It starts with the beginning of the author's life, as memoirs are wont to do, and follows Fey's experiences from childhood to where she is today (at publication of Bossypants, Fey was still staring in 30 Rock). She focuses mostly on stories to do with her love of theater and comedy, but includes some interesting side stories, like a hike up a mountain in college with a potential love interest and a funny-in-a-kind-of-terrible-way Honeymoon.

Notes:
  • I haven't watched 30 Rock (yet...) nor did I watch SNL while Fey was a writer/actor, so I'm not very familiar with her major work. I love Mean Girls, though, which I know she wrote, so I was pretty sure I would like this book, and I was not disappointed. Fey is a very straight-forward writer. She is open about her life and accepts herself for who she is. The field of comedy can be pretty unforgiving to women, and she understands that and works through it to make sure she puts her best work out there. She's a good role model for girls that want to work in fields where women are underrepresented. 
  • I love how much Fey respects and loves Amy Poehler. They always seemed to be great friends in real life, seeing them at award shows and such, and I'm glad that it wasn't just an act. They appreciate each other's talents and skills, and Fey really cannot say enough about how great of an actress and writer Poehler is. It's just really nice to see a great friendship like that. :)
  • I definitely would like to read more memoirs after reading Bossypants. The only ones I had read up until this point were either for school or in graphic novel form: the former doesn't count because I had no choice in the matter, and the latter does not have enough narration for me to fully understand the author and their stories. I've heard a lot of good things about Mindy Kaling's Is Everyone Hanging out Without Me? so that will probably be the next memoir I read, but that might be a ways from now because I have a pile of novels stacked on my desk I want to read...


Recommendation: If you have never read a memoir before, this is the perfect chance to try it out. It's funny and uplifting, with the kind of stories that will make you laugh out loud. And it's a no-brainer to those that are Tina Fey fans that you have to read this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment