Monday, January 13, 2014

Books in Review, 2013

Alright, so I lied. I said I was going to post every day for the next few days and I didn't. I ended up working on Saturday a lot longer than planned, and on Sunday I played Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time for practically the entire day... So to make up for it, I decided not to write a review, but rather take a survey that one of my favorite YouTubers, The Readables, posted a few days ago. To the questions! (And subsequent answers!)

1. What was the best book of 2013?
The best book I read would have to be Thirteen Reasons Why, by Jay Asher. I still don't think I have put my finger on why this book resonated with me so much, but it was completely different from anything I have ever read! It was very thought provoking and interesting, and after I finished it I had this very strong urge to recommend it to everyone I knew.

2. What was the most surprising read of 2013? (in a good way!)
Probably I, Robot, by Isaac Asimov. I have already written a review of this book, but to restate some of the points I made, it was my first serious foray into sci-fi literature and, not surprisingly, I loved it. The surprising part of this read was how it was set up. I didn't know it was more of a collection of short stories rather than a novel, but this actually worked well to get the point across.

3. What book did you read in 2013 that you recommended most?
This might be cheating a little, but I read Insurgent (Veronica Roth) in 2013 and Divergent, the first book in the series, I have definitely recommended most to people. I always tell people its like Hunger Games, but better, so everyone should read it! :)

4. What is the best series discovered in 2013?
This definitely has to go to The Maze Runner, by James Dashner. I've only read the first book in the trilogy, but it was an exciting page-turner: the kind of book you can't put down until you've finished (though my sister stole it for a few days when I was in the middle of it so she could read it...) I cannot wait to read the following books to see which direction the story goes!

5. Who is your new favorite author you discovered in 2013?
I think that will have to go to Stephanie Perkins, author of Anna and the French Kiss and Lola and the Boy Next Door. While the titles of her books are terrible, I loved Perkins's writing style, characters, and plots, so what more could you want?

6. What is the best book that you've read that was out of your comfort zone?
Wow I read a lot of YA novels last year... I guess I'll going with Persepolis, by Marjane Satrapi. Last year was the year of my first graphic novel, and I certainly want to pursue that style of novel. Persepolis was also a memoir and overall very serious, so it was very out of my comfort zone. But it was enlightening and interesting and kind of the only book that was out of my comfort zone... I'll try harder to expand my book choices this year!

7. What is the most thrilling and un-put-down-able book of 2013?
According to my book log, there were two books that I started and finished in the same day: Across the Universe, by Beth Revis and Lola and the Boy Next Door, by Stephanie Perkins. Out of these two, Across the Universe was more thrilling. It's about space travel and a girl that's hundreds of years out of her comfort zone! Very enjoyable, highly suggest it :)

8. What book did you read in 2013 that you are most likely to read in the following year?
This is definitely going to have to go to Anna and the French Kiss because... I already re-read it. I have this short and sweet YA romantic novel that I read when I'm feeling upset called Secrets, by Rebecca Jones Gunn. Anna and the French Kiss might soon become my go-to novel instead...

9. What book were you excited about and thought you would love, but didn't?
This 100 percent goes to Allegiant, by Veronica Roth. After two fantastic, almost unparalleled books, I was so excited to see how she would end the trilogy! And I was so disappointed... Not for the reason most people site (the end) but for many reasons, including but not limited to: writing style, Four and Tris's voices sounded identical, weird and complicated explanations, etc.

10. What was your favorite book cover in 2013?
Gosh this is something I don't really think about... Ummm... This one:
because it makes me happy :)

11. Who was the most memorable character of 2013?
Probably Frankie Landau-Banks from The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks, by E. Lockhart. While I didn't particularly like the novel and I definitely didn't like Frankie, she is a very memorable character because of her actions during the novel (I don't want to give anything away, you should probably just read it).

12. What is the most beautifully written book you read in 2013?
If you have been reading my posts, it's kind of obvious which book I'm going to choose: The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation (both volumes), by M. T. Anderson. His writing is so beautiful and poetic, it's quite easy to fall in love :)

13. What book made the greatest impact on you in 2013?
That would have to go to Thirteen Reasons Why. It made me think about the topic of suicide more than I ever had, as well as the implications one person, or even one encounter, can have on a person's life. It made me want to be a better person, which might sound a tad cliche, but it's most certainly true.

14. What book can't you believe you waited until 2013 to read?
This resoundingly goes to A Game of Thrones, by George R. R. Martin. This is exactly the kind of book that I'm always looking for: super long, intricate fantasy novels. It has been recommended to me for years now, but I definitely should have picked it up sooner.

15. What is your favorite passage or quote from a book you read in 2013?
I said this in my review of Octavian Nothing, but I'll certainly say it again because it is so beautiful: "How doth all that seeks to rise burn itself to nothing."

16. What is the shortest and longest book you read in 2013?
Shortest: Persepolis with 153 pages
Longest: The Host, by Stephanie Meyer with 829 pages

17. What book had a scene in it that you have been dying to talk to someone about?
The end of The Mark of Athena, by Rick Riordan. Riordan is a terrible person ending it like that and I desperately need to read The House of Hades.

18. What was your favorite relationship that you read in 2013?
This is really difficult, since I read a lot of books with super adorable couples in it, but I'd have to say Linh Cinder and Prince Kai from Cinder, by Marissa Meyer. I don't know what it is, but there's something about forbidden love that makes everything so much sweeter... :)

19. What was your favorite book in 2013 by an author you have previously read?
An Abundance of Katherines, by John Green, no contest. It might be because I'm very fond of an underdog and Katherines is Green's least-read novel, but I adore how witty and clever it is :)

20. What was the best book you read in 2013 based on a recommendation from someone?
This is going to have to go to A Game of Thrones. This book was absolutely fantastic and again, I cannot believe I waited so long to read it!

21. What genre did you read the most in 2013?
If YA fiction counts as a genre, then that is basically all I read. More specifically, though, fantasy is my favorite genre and therefore most read. This might seem a little odd, but my next favorite genre would be realistic fiction, which is kind of the complete opposite of fantasy... but it was my next most read.

22. Who is your fictional crush from a book that you read in 2013?
Hands down, this goes to Etienne St. Clair from Anna and the French Kiss. He is an incredibly sweet, intelligent guy with a British accent, can speak French, and has a passion for history. There are no words for the intense crush I have on this man.

23. What book had the most vivid world or imagery in 2013?
There are multiple books I could choose for this question, but I think I'll go with Shadow and Bone, by Leigh Bardugo. I think Bardugo goes into more description than Martin does in A Game of Thrones, though Martin has a more developed world.

24. What book made you cry in 2013?
See I don't usually cry while reading books... but I definitely got close in Looking for Alaska, by John Green.

And that's it! Sorry it's such a long post, but I'm hoping this will be a source of book recommendations for people in 2014 :) It was also very interesting to see what I read in the past year and what I want to change this year, besides reading more books!

No comments:

Post a Comment